Employees are due payment for the work done. Whenever you receive it:

  • You are entitled to a receipt.

ATTENTION!: The payment receipt will say:

  • The amount that was paid,

  • What deductions were made (for example, taxes, national insurance and union fees)

  • Net wage.

NOTE! Every year employers must give employees a P60 certificate that shows their gross payment for that year, the net wage and total deductions made on their payment during the year.

IT IS FORBIDDEN! Your employer must not make any deduction from your wages unless:

  • The deduction is obligatory by law (i.e. income tax and National Insurance)

  • The deduction is permitted by way of your contract (i.e. union fees)

  • He or she has a written agreement authorising the deduction

  • Your employer paid more than was due – you should ask for advice from a trade union representative if that happens

  • You have not worked due to a strike (the employer can only deduct the days you have not worked)

  • When there are also special rules on deductions from wages for workers and when the employer thinks that an employee may have robbed – In these cases speak to a trade union representative for guidance

  • If your employer provides accommodation then he or she may pay slightly less then the National Minimum Wage. This is known as compensation for accommodation.

ATENTION! To illegal deductions from your wages

  • No deduction may be made for the provision of any meals or refreshments. No deduction may be made for protection equipment that you need to carry out your work in safety.

NOTE! It is the employer who bears the costs arising from the organisation and operation of health and safety activities at the workplace